YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO HONOR OUR BEST!
Nominations Due: May 1, 2023
Submit Your Nomination Online
The Laymon N. Miller Award for Excellence in Acoustical Consulting is an annual award provided to an individual who has practiced acoustical consulting in an exemplary manner over a sustained period of time to improve acoustical environments in and around buildings, transportation systems, workplaces, recreational and other occupied spaces such that the quality of life for citizens and communities is significantly enhanced.
This Award honors our esteemed profession and the exceptional quality of teaching, publication, service to the profession, and especially contributions beyond the routine course of acoustical consulting, as represented by Laymon Miller’s legendary consulting career.
This Award was developed jointly by the National Council of Acoustical Consultants (NCAC) and the Institute of Noise Control Engineering of the United States of America (INCE/USA). The award will be independently bestowed by NCAC in odd-numbered years and independently by INCE/USA in even-numbered years to an individual who is deemed worthy of recognition for his/her outstanding professional contributions and acoustical consulting services, and which reflect the high purpose of the Award and provide inspiration to professional colleagues.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR CONSIDERATION
Appropriate examples of achievements and qualifications include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Length of time and high quality of service as an acoustical consultant.
- Teaching courses in acoustics and noise control engineering.
- Development of new criteria, standards, and improvements of existing criteria and problem-solving approaches.
- Publication of technical articles, handbook chapters, application manuals, etc.
- Service as a mentor to colleagues, especially those newly entering the field of acoustical consulting.
- Consulting and other contributions directed at improving quality-of-life through better acoustical environments.
Nominations should offer an appreciation of the nominee’s deservedness of this high honor, must include a brief description of the nominee’s qualifications based on the above list, and must include reference letters supporting the nomination from at least two NCAC member firms.
The recipient will be notified no later than August 1, 2023. The award will be presented during the NCAC annual meeting, November 3-5, 2023 in Raleigh, NC.