Kirkegaard is seeking a Specialist for an early career position in architectural acoustics. The ideal candidate will have a willingness to work on a diversity of projects including performing arts; an interest in developing and maintaining client relationships; and a commitment to being a collaborative, efficient and effective team member both internally and externally. Position is being considered in our Chicago office.
● Providing support to consultants on noise/vibration control, sound isolation and room acoustics projects
● Analyzing data and working internally to help solve complex technical challenges and problems
● Preparing and reviewing drawings, documents, data sets and other digital design assets
● Managing project tasks and internal deadlines to contribute to the efficient delivery of consulting
services on time and within budget
● Working effectively with team members in other office locations for internal project coordination
● Coordinating work with architects, engineers, theater consultants and other disciplines in the built environment
● Willing to put in the time and effort when required to complete the tasks required of the position and/or the project.
● Be organized and compliant with company organization policy
● Participating in company meetings and industry events to learn more about the field broadly
The ideal candidate will have:
● Graduate to three years relevant experience in acoustics consulting (does not include teaching or research experience)
● Experience in the measurement and analysis of noise and vibration projects
● Knowledge of all phases of projects from schematic design through construction administration
● High-level thinking and visualization skills with an orientation for design and creative problem solving
● Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex issues and problems with clarity
● A flexible, collaborative approach to work, both within the firm and with members of design teams
● Experience communicating with general contractors, sub-contractors (HVAC, Electrical, Drywall and Framing) and client project managers during construction administration process including field visits, submittal review and RFI responses.
● Proficiency (or ability to readily learn) applications such as Bluebeam, REVIT, AutoCAD, Rhino and EASE, CATT, or Odeon; experience with Matlab, Grasshopper, MaxMSP and/or Audition desired
● Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, physics, or a related field
● Master’s degree in acoustics, architecture, physics, or engineering desired
● Experience as a musician, public speaker, or actor
We offer a competitive salary with outstanding benefits that include health, dental, life, long term care insurance and more.
Our mission is to create acoustically wonderful spaces and AV systems for our clients and a supportive work environment for each other. Our vision is to add beauty to the world. If you share this vision, please apply here.
Kirkegaard Associates is a world-renowned, 44-year old architectural acoustics and integrated systems design firm, specializing in the performing arts, with offices in Chicago, Houston, and St. Louis. The firm has worked on over 2,800 projects in 24 countries since its founding in 1976. The current staff consists of 13 inspired and experienced individuals with backgrounds in architecture, architectural engineering, physics, audio engineering, theater arts and technical design, information technology and performing arts production, who perform work in room acoustics; sound isolation; noise and vibration control of building services; IT; Security; and design and tuning of audio-video systems. The firm’s expertise covers a wide spectrum: Performing Arts Centers; Schools of Music, Theater and Dance; Religious Buildings; Hospitals and Healthcare Facilities; Theatres, Concert Halls and Opera Houses; Educational Facilities; Business Facilities; Outdoor Music Venues; Museums and Libraries; Hotels and Conference Centers; and Recording and Broadcast Studios.
110 West Kinzie Street, 4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60654
When responding, reference ad number 1347