Kirkegaard Associates is seeking a Consultant with experience in noise and vibration control, and experience in sound isolation and architectural acoustics. The ideal candidate will have a willingness to work on a diversity of projects including performing arts; an interest in developing and maintaining client relationships;
and a commitment to being a collaborative, efficient and effective team member both internally and externally.
Position is being considered in our Chicago office.
● Acoustics design consulting and project management of noise/vibration control, sound isolation and room acoustics projects
● Coordinating work with architects, engineers, theater consultants, contractors, and other building design/construction disciplines
● Analyzing data and working internally to help solve complex technical challenges and problems
● Managing small to medium sized projects for efficient and effective delivery of consulting services on time and within budget
● Collaborating remotely with principals, consultants and specialists in other office locations
● Contributing to proposal and qualifications submissions
● Providing technical guidance and mentoring to specialists and interns
● Willing to put in the time and effort when required to complete the tasks required of the position and/or the project.
● Be organized and compliant with company organization policy
● Participating in industry events and conferences to contribute to the business and the technical field broadly
The ideal candidate will have:
● Three to seven years relevant experience in acoustics consulting (does not include teaching or research experience)
● Experience in the measurement and analysis of complex noise and vibration projects
● Experience with all phases of projects from programming through commissioning
● Experience with multiple performing arts or large gathering based projects.
● High-level thinking and visualization skills with an orientation for design and creative problem solving
● Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex issues and problems with clarity
● A flexible, collaborative approach to work, both within the firm and with members of design teams
● Experience communicating with general contractors, sub-contractors (HVAC, Electrical, Drywall and Framing) and client project managers during construction administration process including field visits, submittal review and RFI responses.
● Some exposure or desire for exposure in business development with preparation of proposals for small to medium-sized projects
● Proficiency (or ability to readily learn) applications such as Bluebeam, REVIT, AutoCAD, Rhino and EASE, CATT, or Odeon; experience with Matlab, Grasshopper, MaxMSP and/or Audition desired
● Bachelor’s degree in engineering, architecture, physics, or a related field
● Master’s degree in acoustics, architecture, physics, or engineering desired.
● Experience as a musician, public speaker, or actor
We offer a competitive salary with outstanding benefits that include health, dental, life, long term care
insurance and more. Our mission is to create acoustically wonderful spaces and AV systems for our clients and a supportive work environment for each other. Our vision is to add beauty to the world. If you share this vision, please apply here.
Kirkegaard Associates is a world-renowned, 44-year old architectural acoustics and integrated systems design firm, specializing in the performing arts, with offices in Chicago, Houston, and St. Louis. The firm has worked on over 2,800 projects in 24 countries since its founding in 1976. The current staff consists of 13 inspired and experienced individuals with backgrounds in architecture, architectural engineering, physics, audio engineering, theater arts and technical design, information technology and performing arts production, who perform work in room acoustics; sound isolation; noise and vibration control of building services; IT; Security; and design and tuning of audio-video systems. The firm’s expertise covers a wide spectrum: Performing Arts Centers; Schools of Music, Theater and Dance; Religious Buildings; Hospitals and Healthcare Facilities; Theatres, Concert Halls and Opera Houses; Educational Facilities; Business Facilities; Outdoor Music Venues; Museums and Libraries; Hotels and Conference Centers; and Recording and Broadcast Studios.
110 West Kinzie Street, 4th Floor
Chicago, IL 60654
When responding, reference ad number 1348