Threshold Acoustics LLC
Threshold consultants design places of gathering to learn, share wisdom, and pass along culture.
Threshold consultants approach the visual realm of architecture to reinforce the subtlety, power, and delight that sound can bring to the built environment. Our Audio/Video team delivers quality and clarity of sound and video for places of gathering where we learn, share wisdom, and pass along culture. We work alongside designers, artists, and administrators to deliver designs that address the needs of end users in the Performing Arts, Cultural, Educational, Worship, and Commercial realm.
Thoughtful spaces require flexible Audio/Video systems that help them succeed as both rooms and venues, for presentation and conversation, as places for in-person presentation of ideas as well as their distribution and collaboration at a distance. Audio and video technologies that were once confined to the world of performance venues are now pervasive in our everyday lives. Whether the technology itself is part of the show or subordinated to an immersive experience, the quality and clarity of sound and video remains paramount. We seek the highest quality of experience that delivers power, fidelity, and nuance for the everyday and the once-in-a-lifetime.
Threshold is seeking an individual with at least 5 years of experience in the Audio/Video (AV) consulting industry to join our team of design consultants in creating, documenting, and detailing AV designs. The ideal candidate will have strong written and verbal communication skills, be highly organized with exceptional attention to detail, time management, and follow-through, as well as experience installing or deploying and operating systems for live performance. A bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Music Technology, Physics, or related field, or equivalent professional experience is required. Advanced studies are preferred. A sense of curiosity and openness to learning more about AV systems, architectural design, and construction professions are a priority. Interest and experience in multi-disciplinary performing art forms such as music, theatre, or dance are welcome. Areas of responsibility and appropriate skills necessary for success will include all or most of the following:
• Participate in the development of AV designs with senior staff.
• Coordinate and communicate design work with project team members. Review with colleagues to ensure work produced maintains
firm’s quality and performance standards.
• Day-to-day responsibility for managing scope, fee, and deliverables on projects of modest scale; awareness of scope of services
across all disciplines and anticipation of circumstances that may require additional services to be negotiated; monitor schedule and
oversee the execution of deliverables.
• Understand client group and design team dynamics. Regularly communicate with counterparts in the client group, architect, user
groups, and contractor regarding all project design and project management issues. Identify critical issues with analysis and
recommendation for client decision and direction.
• Continuously cultivate and maintain positive relationships with colleagues in both AV and Architectural Acoustics disciplines as
well as existing clients.
• Assist with proposals, qualifications and presentations as needed.
• Understanding of complex AV Systems and capability to produce standard design documents and technical narratives.
• MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
• Drafting experience in AutoCAD, Revit, BIM modeling, or other industry standard tools.
• Familiarity with architectural design phases and construction process.
• Engineering mindset focused on efficient system flow and connectivity.
Experience with the following software systems, industry recognized training, and certification preferred:
• Bluebeam Revu, Sketchup, and 3D modeling.
• Loudspeaker modeling software (e.g., EASE, Soundvision, ArrayCalc, etc.).
• IT networking familiarity, specifically AV and digital media over IP (e.g., Dante, AVB, SMPTE 2110, etc.).
• Industry recognized certification (e.g., AVIXA CTS, CTS-I, CTS-D, or equivalent).
• Established public presence in one or more professional organizations.
Environment, Physical demands, and other conditions:
• The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from multiple people and interact directly with other staff and with
• The position is primarily in person, in an office environment, and may include remote work.
• Travel related to project advancement is expected.
• Competitive salary and benefits, including holidays, vacation, sick leave, 401K, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), long term
disability, and medical, optical, and dental policies.
• Partial reimbursement for tickets to live performances or other events that expand our collective experience with a wide range of
performing arts outlets.
• Conference attendance is supported according to personal interests and the company’s need to efficiently cover potential markets.
• Relocation expenses negotiable.
Threshold as a company works to create spaces that are free of distraction, ones wherein we are immersed in each other’s presence and can build authentic human connections. It is with this ethos in mind that we now make a deliberate effort to do our part dismantling the undeniable inequality in our profession and in our society. Our Social and Environmental Justice Mission Statement (found here) is a conscious call to action, both as individuals and as a company.
We look forward to hearing about how your individual skills and experience make you the best candidate for this position. To apply, submit a Resume and Cover Letter addressed to Joe Dillon, Principal at firstname.lastname@example.org.