Threshold Acoustics approaches the visual realm of architecture holistically to reinforce the subtlety, power, and delight that sound can bring to the built environment. Our acoustics team delivers aurally rich, clear, and immersive sound for places of gathering where we learn, share wisdom, and pass along culture. We work alongside designers, artists, and administrators to deliver designs that address the needs of end users in the Performing Arts, Cultural, Educational, Worship, and Commercial realm.
Architectural Acoustic Consultant (3-5 yrs. Professional Experience)Threshold is seeking an individual with 3-5 years of experience in acoustics consulting, architecture or a related field, The ideal candidate will have strong written and verbal communication skills, be highly organized with exceptional attention to detail, time management, and follow-through. Experience in live performance is a plus. A bachelor’s degree in Architectural Acoustics, Music Technology, Architecture, Physics, or related field is required. A sense of curiosity and openness to learning more about room acoustics, architectural design, and construction professions are a priority. Interest and experience in multi-disciplinary performing art forms such as music, theatre, or dance are welcome. Areas of responsibility and appropriate skills necessary for success will include all or most of the following:
• Manage day-to-day acoustic design activities, across multiple projects to achieve client’s goals
• Maintain awareness of project scope and fee status, monitor schedule, and oversee the execution of deliverables.
• Contribute to the design process as an active team member and participate in client or user group meetings when
• Provide acoustic analysis to support recommendations and collaborate with design team to further develop and
integrate. architectural acoustic design in the areas of room acoustics, sound isolation, and building systems noise
and vibration control.
• Coordinate and communicate design work externally with project design teams and client groups and internally with
collaborating colleagues in both AV and Acoustics.
• Experience in project-based architectural acoustic consulting or related fields.
• Experience in acoustic analysis methodologies, supporting software and design strategies to underpin
• Capable of skilled, largely autonomous work under the guidance of senior staff.
• Familiarity with building design phases and construction process.
• Architectural mindset focused on functional aspects and spatial requirements of buildings and building systems.
• Technical narrative writing and communication, especially to non-scientific audiences.
• Project management experience a plus, including oversight of project scope, fee and deliverables
Experience with the following software
• Bluebeam, Revit / BIM modeling, AutoCAD
• MS Office Suite including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
• 3D modeling: Sketchup, Rhino
• Bruel and Kjaer meters and software – familiarity is a plus
• Odeon, Max MSP, SoundPlan, MatLab – familiarity is a plus
• Architectural or Professional Engineer licensure is also a plus
Environment, Physical demands, and other conditions:
• The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from multiple people and interact with other staff and, occasionally, with clients
• The position is primarily in person, in an office but will include some remote work
• Ability to travel is expected
• Competitive salary and benefits, including holidays, vacation, sick leave, 401K, Flexible Spending Account (FSA), long term disability, and medical, optical, and dental policies
• Partial reimbursement for tickets to live performances or other events that expand our collective experience with a wide range of performing arts outlets
• Conference attendance is supported according to personal interests and the company’s need to efficiently cover potential markets
• Relocation expenses negotiable
Threshold as a company works to create spaces we are immersed in each other’s presence and can build authentic human connections. It is with this ethos in mind that we now make a deliberate effort to do our part dismantling the undeniable inequality in our profession and in our society. Our Social and Environmental Justice Mission Statement (found here) is a conscious call to action, both as individuals and as a company.
We look forward to hearing about how your individual skills and experience make you the best candidate for this position. To apply, submit a Resume and Cover Letter addressed to Constance E. Walker, Managing Principal at