Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
Founded in October 2020, the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee (DEI Committee) promots, advocates, and creates opportunities for greater equity, diversity and inclusiveness in the acoustics profession.
The Committee uses the following to define diversity, equity and inclusion:
- Diversity – Mix of different kinds of people. Identity markers, such as gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, age, and disability.
- Equity – Means a condition is level and impartial. Acknowledging an uneven playing field, recognizing inherent power differentials and disparate treatment based on identity.
- Inclusion – Creates an environment in which everyone is able to equally contribute to discussions and decision-making and have the ability to help change systems
To date, the DEI Committee has implemented the following initiatives:
- Recommended changes to NCAC Board of Directors to incorporate DEI principals into NCAC Canon of Ethics. (Approved March 2021.)
- Created plan to increase staff engagement amongst NCAC member firms.
- Outreach for strategic partnerships societies and organizations that represent black and other underrepresented professionals.
The following programs and resources are being developed:
- Connect NCAC members with universities and schools to share information about the acoustics profession.
- Develop a DEI challenge for NCAC firms and resources to help them implement DEI best practices in their business.
- Review NCAC Student Travel Award program to broaden the programs and universities involved, encourage students in adjacent diciplines to explore an interest in acoustics and provide awards for black and underrepresented students.
- Benchmark current diversity of NCAC member firms.
- Ensure meeting policies and activities that create a welcoming environment for all.
Current committee members include:
- Mukan Acharya, Stewart Acoustical Consultants
- Jeff Babich, Babich Acoustics
- Ezra Blackwell, Stewart Acoustical Consultants
- Ben Davenny, Acentech
- Jesse Ehnert, Arpeggio Acoustics
- Scott Harvey, Phoenix Noise & Vibration
- Melinda Miller, ABD Engineering
- Oscar Otero, Haverstick Design
- Scott Pfeiffer, Threshold Acoustics
- Eric Reuter, Reuter Associates
- Melvin Saunders, Saunders & Associates
- Indi Savitala, CSDA Design Group
- Dawn Schuette, Threshold Acoustics