ATS Consulting is an innovative small company working to improve the performance of transit systems. We help communities by minimizing the negative impacts of noise and vibration associated with railways and highways. The field of transportation acoustics continues to grow as major cities turn towards public transit to address the transportation challenges of the modern world. ATS offers the possibility of working alongside motivated and intellectually curious coworkers while receiving direct mentorship from our senior staff. ATS gives entry-level staff the unique opportunity and responsibility of leading projects and having direct contact with clients. Working on a project from beginning to end, we learn and refine a broad set of skills while looking for the answers to challenging new questions.
Current projects include several new and existing rail transit systems, developing procedures to use noise to prioritize track maintenance efforts, addressing issues from highway noise, and conducting research related to sound and vibration from roadway, rail, and aviation sources. We conduct field testing, use numerical methods including finite elements, and use applied math and physics to help answer our clients’ questions and find solutions that work for them. We are looking for forward thinking individuals who are interested in learning new technical areas, will enjoy working as part of a team to solve problems for our clients, and want to challenge and expand the state-of-the-art of our industry.
We work internationally in the field of noise and vibration for rail transportation systems and have a strong foothold in North America where our work includes all areas of surface transportation. We have projects in Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, Montreal, Toronto, and Chicago, as well as many other major North American cities.
Desired Qualifications and Interests
• A BS or BA in acoustics, mechanical engineering, structural engineering, or related field. Advanced degrees are highly desirable.
• Interest in working as a consultant as a key member of a team of co-workers. Tasks required by current ATS Consulting projects include detailed noise and vibration testing of prototype and in-service rail transit vehicles, identifying noise sources at a large freight rail classification yard, design of noise and vibration mitigation measures for new rail transit systems, and noise analysis for updates to a major freeway interchange.
• Interest in the fields of transportation, acoustics, vibration, rail transit and railroads, field work, and computer analysis and modeling.
• Excellent skills in communications and qualitative evaluations. The position requires both verbal and written communication with non-technical and technical clients.
• Ability to represent ATS Consulting at meetings with clients and at professional society meetings.
• Computer savvy with substantial experience using MATLAB, Excel, and Word. Experience with other computer tools (e.g. MySql data bases, ArcGIS, LabVIEW, Optram, and finite element method software) is desired but not required.
• Experience with data science and programming is a plus.
• Availability to travel to meet with clients and perform field tests (expected travel time ~10%).
• Brings enthusiasm and excitement at becoming part of a small innovative company.
• Legally authorized to work in the US.
Benefits and Perks
• Direct involvement as a key member of projects soon after starting at ATS.
• Paid sick and personal time.
• Nine holidays per year (eight fixed, one floating).
• Health insurance.
• Simple IRA plan.
• Opportunities to attend and present at peer conferences and seminars.
• Flexible schedules.
• Possibility to travel to major cities around the United States and Canada.
ATS Consulting is an equal opportunity employer. We pay competitive rates commensurate with education and experience.
215 North Marengo Avenue, Suite 100
Pasadena, CA 91101
When responding, reference ad number 1216